NHS Choices Mobile - very handy if you are away from home!
Anyone who needs to find their nearest hospital or dentist can now get an immediate answer, thanks to a new text messaging service launched by the NHS and Directgov.
This could be especially useful for sports teams at away fixtures or on tour, the free online service helps you find the nearest health services through your mobile phone.
Wherever you are in the UK, by texting the service you require to 64746 you can get details of the nearest Accident & Emergency ward, emergency dentist, GP or another health service sent straight to your mobile phone, complete with addresses, phone numbers and maps. And because the service is free, you'll only be charged for a standard text.
Simply text the relevant code to 64746. The keywords for each of the directories are:
- for A&E departments, text "accident"
- for alcohol services, text "alcohol"
- for dentists, text "dentist"
- for GPs, text "doctor"
- for opticians, text "optician"
- for pharmacists, text "pharmacy"
- for sexual health services, text "sexualhealth"
- for stop-smoking services, text "quit"
- for walk-in centres, text "walk"
If you have an internet-enabled phone you can also use three of our interactive tools:
- To calculate your body mass index, text "BMI"
- To find out how much smoking costs you, text "Calculator"
- To check whether you are drinking within sensible limits, text "Drinkquiz"
For more information visit:http://www.nhs.uk/NHSChoicesmobile/Pages/NHSChoicesmobile.aspx